If you are interested in adopting a Border collie dog, then you need to be prepared especially when you don’t know what you’re getting into. For Border collie dogs are the most intelligent and hardworking animals. Their job is to herd sheep and other livestock in the farm making sure that they are well in line and won’t fall astray from the pack. If you are thinking that they are perfect for a household pet then you have to be mistaken. They are a challenging breed of dogs to handle. For their superior intellect, mixed with their intensity and their obsessed desire to work out on the field are the best feature to have but they can be a bit too much for you as well, especially if you wanted them as a pet.
But despite the fact that they can be a terror if you don’t give them the needed exercise and other physical stimulation that will help them feel at ease and busy, they can be decent enough pets if you fill in the criteria. So long as you give the dogs the things that they needed in order to stay active and well-trained.
Here are some of the list that will help you understand why adopting a Border Collie Dog can be a possible candidate for you.
- They are the perfect asset when it comes to farming.
- They are very intelligent and hardworking dogs.
- They are very athletic and though, especially when the environment can be harsh.
- They can be easily trained using positive reinforcement.
- They are very obedient and loyal to their owners.
These are the positive things that you should learn when it comes to the Border collie dogs, however, do not ignore their cons as well. There are some dogs that can a bit overwhelming to homeowners, owners who have no knowledge when it comes to adopting a Border collie dog. If you are not aware or well-informed what would these dogs be, if they do not meet their criteria of needs, then you will be in for a challenge of your life. So here are some of these cons that you should be aware of before making the decision.
- They can be very destructive and energetic.
- They will be aggressive if you don’t release some steam.
- For they need tons and tons of physical and mental stimulation to keep them in check.
- They need to be trained very well in order to redirect and discourage his herding instincts, especially when the environment is not suitable for it.
- They are very intelligent, to the point when left alone they can be in a lot of trouble.
Now that you see these icons can be a bit too much for you. You have to be constantly on your toes in order to ensure that their behavior won’t drive you up the wall. If you are not fit for the challenge, then it is advisable for you to choose a different breed of dog that is suitable for your preference.